Friends, I am delighted to share the news that today Logos celebrates its 15th anniversary. I want to take a moment to thank all of our clients, Logos employees through the ages, and all who have provided support, advice, referrals, help, and encouragement.
We were founded on September 4, 2002, in the middle of a recession. On the day we were founded we had no clients, and only one employee, me. Our first client came a few days later; our second the following month; within six months we were active with a dozen clients.
Our clients include leading companies in banking, investment management, insurance, pharmaceuticals and life sciences, manufacturing, professional services, technology, food and beverage manufacturing and distribution, hospitality, and consumer brands. Also leading universities, where we both provide advice, as we do to all clients, and also do contract teaching in their various graduate programs. We have also worked for human rights, cultural, artistic, and social justice NGOs. And we also work for and teach in a number of governmental organizations, in the U.S, and elsewhere.
Our client work has taken us to dozens of countries on six continents and to at least 36 states in the United States. Just as an example, on the day we were founded, 22 years into my career, I had already flown one million miles on a single airline. Since then I am up to six and a half million miles: five and a half million miles flown on just that airline since Logos was founded. And there were dozens of other airlines along the way, both in the U.S. and in all corners of the world.
Some of the milestones in the life of the firm so far:
- September, 4, 2002, we are founded.
- September 27, 2002, we receive our first client fee payment, from our first client, a leading commodities exchange.
- October 4, 2002, we get our second client, a global human rights organization. It is still a client today.
- October 7, 2002, we get our third client, a leading life insurance company. It is still a client today.
- November, 2002, we get two additional clients, a leading financial data services company, and a global investment bank that is still a client today. From this point we have critical mass, and begin assembling a team. Those first team members are still with the firm today.
- June, 2004, with our client work well underway, we launch the Logos Institute for Crisis Management and Executive Leadership, to serve as a think tank and idea lab to develop best practices and analyses for clients, and to house our executive education practice.
- June, 2007, we move into our first Manhattan office, at 245 Park Avenue; we build our staff.
- June, 2009, we move to our present office, at 875 Avenue of the Americas, which we designed and had built.
- June, 2016, we expand our office by 50 percent, to accommodate additional staff and to increase our meeting capacity.
- July, 2017, we launch our book publishing initiative, the Logos Institute for Crisis Management and Executive Leadership Press.
What I am most proud of is the Logos team. Logos people not only provide great value to our clients. They are also shaping and mentoring the next generation of leaders. All senior Logos people teach in one or more graduate, law, or equivalent program at leading universities. Most of us have formal faculty appointments; others of us teach as scheduled guest lecturers. And most of us advise graduate students on their theses. Most are also actively involved in civic, philanthropic, cultural, and human rights causes we care about, independent of the firm.
As we begin our sixteenth year I want to once more thank our clients, our friends and supporters, and all Logos people through the years. And especially the families: spouses, partners, significant others, children, and friends of the the Logos people, who make it possible for them to do their important work.
With great gratitude,